Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Crabbing with the Queen

                                                           Crabbing with the Queen

Crabbing with the Queen is a painting on fabric, mounted on canvas. It measures 32" x 38" and is composed of Serigraphy, Oil, Packing Tape and Resin.

While I was a graduate student at Clemson University, I was walking across campus one day and spotted a roll of fabric discarded behind a dumpster behind the Textiles building. It was an end roll of a plasticized fabric, much like a plastic table cloth; it was purple and had a fleur de lis pattern that reminded me somewhat of Victorian era decorative elements.

So I used that fabric as the base for this painting, simply as an experiment in surface and texture. The main figure in the image is from a New York Times story; he was an underwater ballet dancer who performed in the Port Authority area of town, before it had been cleaned up and sanitized. I liked the figure and made him the subject of the piece. I gave him two belly buttons to imply movement underwater. The Queen, as the voyeur, simply came from my association with the decorative fabric.

This painting had no general concept. It was simply my making associative responses initially to the fabric and to the central figure; it just developed.

No comments:

Post a Comment